Private Slots

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Wed Jan 16 17:03:26 PST 2013

On Jan 16, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Nathan Wall wrote:

>> In this light, it may also make sense to make Function.prototype.@@create and
>> Function.prototype.@@hasInstance non-writable, non-configurable.
>> Regardless of the defaults, SES could presumably defend itself in the
>> same same way.
>
> If you make Function.prototype.@@create non-writable, wouldn't that make it difficult to use?
>
> I'm thinking of the "you can't override non-writable inherited properties with a write operation" ES5 decision, thus forcing you to use Object.defineProperty.

No they's still just properties that can be shadowed during property lookup.  Subclass need to use defineProperty to define over-riding methods but class declaration will do that for you. More generally definitional rather than assignment operation should be used to define subclass over-rides.

Allen