New paper: "Distributed Electronic Rights in JavaScript"

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jan 14 15:18:48 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:
> A fair point. By "contracts" in that first word, we refer to
> real-world contracts. For software "contracts", we initially had a
> footnote trying to explain the relationship between the "smart
> contracts" we're talking about and the type-like "contracts" that this
> literature refers to. Perhaps unwisely, I removed it because I thought
> it created more confusion than it cleared up. By introducing "the
> exchange of rights" in that same first sentence I hope we make it
> clear that we're talking about a different kind of contract, one
> closer to the real world notion.

I disagree, in two senses.  First, behavioral software contracts in
the sense of Meyer have a close analogy to real-world contracts, in
particular contracts for the exchange of goods.  For example, a spot
contract is just an agreement to exchange some good meeting some
specified description for another (usually one is money).  Second, I
believe that your escrow contracts are closely related to software
contracts, in the sense that we could formulate them as software
contracts in a sufficiently-expressive contract system, where the
contract/runtime system itself plays the role of trusted host.

Sam