Private Slots

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jan 14 09:57:02 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Kevin Smith <khs4473 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And again, `Object.freeze` can be thought of as simply enumerating the
>> accessible properties and freezes them, which works unchanged with
>> private symbols, since they are not reflectively accessible via
>> getOwnPropertyNames.
>

> I think of this fact as rather supporting my view, because freezing is no
> longer freezing the whole object, as before.  Thus, while the freeze
> operation might remain unchanged, the object model has shifted under our
> feet.

The concept of freezing the "whole object" is the problem.  If you
call `freeze` on a DOM object, does the page stop changing?  Of course
not -- objects can have hidden state that you, the client of that
object, have no access to and thus no way to freeze.  This isn't
something new being added here.

Sam