WeakMap better than Private Symbols? (was: direct_proxies "problem")

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 10 13:10:30 PST 2013

Nathan Wall wrote:
>> Brendan Eich:
>>> No, not if the symbol is not in the whitelist. Zero information leak is
>>> required.
>> That's good news too. Objection withdrawn.
>
> Maybe I gave up too easy :). Is the `unknownPrivateSymbol` trap called? What's the rationale for this trap?

I just wrote that the trap is not even called if the symbol is not in
the whitelist passed in when the proxy is created.

The rationale was given clearly by Tom Van Cutsem here:

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proxies_names

referenced by this post:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2012-September/025010.html