direct_proxies "problem"

François REMY francois.remy.dev at outlook.com
Tue Jan 8 12:53:34 PST 2013

This is a known problem called Object identity. We already have this problem today with Object.create(document.createElement("p")) which is an "instanceof HTMLElement" but is invalid for any DOM purpose.

However, if you take the same P element and set its __proto__ to null, it will still be a valid P element for DOM purposes even though it's no an "instanceof HTMLElement" anymore. I don't know is this behavior is specced anywhere, but this is how it works.

Maybe it would be great to have a way to "confer" the object identify to another object, and it could be useful for polyfill use cases. Until now, it's not possible to create an object whose native object identity is not "neutral". Proxies don't escape to this rule...