fail-fast object destructuring (don't add more slop to sloppy mode)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Jan 2 09:39:17 PST 2013

Herby Vojčík wrote:
> Then it naturally follows that you can as well do `let {must:must,
> ?may:may} = o` which can be shortened.

Yes, that was the syntax we talked about earlier this year, but I think
CoffeeScript and TypeScript make a case for suffix-?.

> And it can go deeper, since it is Nil.

What is Nil? There is no requirement with ? in the pattern language (on
the LHS) for the RHS to be of any particular type.

I like Nil, and it may help rescue ?. the existential operator strawman.
But that is in the expression language, not in the pattern language.