What is the status of Weak References?

Tom Van Cutsem tomvc.be at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 06:32:17 PST 2013

>  About weakrefs, I've read a little bit [2][3] and I'm puzzled by one
> thing: the return value of get is a strong reference, so if a misbehaving
> component keeps this strong reference around, having passed a weak
> reference was pointless.

For use cases where you're passing a reference to some plug-in/component
and want the referred-to object to be eventually collected, we have
revocable proxies. Weak references aren't the right tool when you want to
express the guarantee that the component can no longer hold onto the object.

Cheers,
Tom