Propose (originally "request") license change

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat Aug 31 17:57:26 PDT 2013

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> It's starting off on the wrong foot to assume that Ecma is a money
> grubby organization that is using copyright to enrich themselves (do
> you know that if you ask, Ecma will send you, for no charge, a printed
> and bound copy of any Ecma standard).  Ecma's primary concerns is the
> integrity of its standard.  It doesn't want individuals making changes
> and then distributing those documents , as if, they were the actual
> approved standards.

But of course (and I hesitate to say this, lest es-discuss become
es-wannabe-lawyers-discuss) that's a matter that could be addressed both
by copyright and by trademark law. It's not a sufficient reason for a
copyright license, at least not given precedent of open source and CC0
or equivalent specification source.