Killing `Promise.fulfill`

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 09:23:37 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Mark Miller <erights at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we do call the coercer Promise.from, as should rename the acceptor
> Promise.accept rather than Promise.of. If we want an Array coercer rather
> than an Array copier, we should consider renaming Array.from to Array.as.

I oppose naming the "just wrap it in a promise" operation to .accept()
- it has identical semantics to the existing Array#of(), because
they're both monadic lifters, and the op should be named generically
enough to work for more than just these two monads as well.

> Although seemingly silly, I actually make the above argument in all
> seriousness. As Brendan says "notation is user interface." In user interface
> design, path-of-least-resistance matters.

I agree that naming is important.  I'm fine with whatever here.

~TJ