Optional Strong Typing

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Aug 23 15:20:48 PDT 2013

On Aug 23, 2013, at 1:20 PM, J B <port25 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM, J B <port25 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> @Brendan "Those are warnings, but WarnScript was a bad name" --you mean the tools (IDEs, closure compiler, etc) throw warnings, but not the Chrome debugger, for instance, right?

The Chrome dev tools (Firefox devtools, etc.) can cope -- but the burning is: will we have more type confusion bugs or fewer if we standardize warning annotations.

Here it pays to recall the benefit of soundness. A type system (sound by definition) will stop code cold, at compile time. Anything like what you propose will possibly let bugs out into the wild.

Whether more or same/fewer that without, I do not know. But I suspect "more", because programmers will have a false sense of security from the "strong typing".