Keywords as method names

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Wed Aug 21 17:19:51 PDT 2013

In Lisp it makes sense to allow binding keywords because there's no such thing as a keyword: once you bind it, it's a variable and you can refer to it. In JS it's impossible to refer to it as a variable so it's just an (un)attractive nuisance.

The only place where I could see this being arguably useful in ES6 is:

    // foo.js
    export function function() { }

    // main.js
    module foo from "foo";

    foo.function();

But that's still probably not advisable, since it means you can't import the name:

    import { function } from "foo";
    // d'oh

So I don't see any reason why a person shouldn't just use rebinding for that use case:

    // foo.js
    function function_() { }

    export { function_ as function };

To wit: I say leave it out.