July notes: copySlice --> copyWithin ??

Rick Waldron waldron.rick at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 13:58:10 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Rick Waldron wrote:
>
>> copySlice/copyWithin is similar to the subset assignment operation in R,
>> eg. vec[4:6] <- vec[1:3]
>>

> Didn't know you were an R hacker :-).

More like an R beginner that had to confer with a real R hacker ;)

Rick

>  Array.prototype.subset(target = 0, start = 0, end = this.length)?
>>

> These names make my eyes itch.
>
> I wonder if we are better off with just copy (and fill)?

I'm very much with you in the short-name-to-the-point camp, but the general
opposition was that "copy" (alone) sounded more like a method that
_returned_ a "copy". I argue that "copy" is not incorrect—it's just not an
overlyExplicitMethodName (a good thing).

Rick