setImmediate

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Mon Aug 12 16:41:13 PDT 2013

On Aug 8, 2013, at 7:09 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Domenic Denicola
> <domenic at domenicdenicola.com> wrote:
>> To me the answer always seemed obvious: use the slow-script dialog. What am I missing?
>
> That seems like a bad answer. Slow-script dialogs are a misfeature.
> They only exist because otherwise single-threaded browsers would be in
> a world of hurt.

Wait, what? The semantics of the web demands that runaway JS block any other even turns, or page layout/rendering from proceeding. Multi-process browsers can prevent cross-origin pages from interfering with each other, and Servo can do speculative layout to reward well-behaved pages, but badly-behaved pages unavoidably destroy the UX. Maybe I'm unimaginative but the only alternative to the slow-script dialog I can see is to allow a page to completely destroy itself unrecoverably.

Dave