Refutable destructuring

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Mon Aug 12 09:52:51 PDT 2013

On Aug 12, 2013, at 2:22 AM, Andreas Rossberg wrote:

> On 10 August 2013 22:15, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Pattern matching is more precise and flexible, and that's why we considered
>> changing destructuring (which uses the pattern subgrammar) to refutable from
>> irrefutable. Even now with destructuring irrefutable, patterns in catch
>> clauses, match statements/expressions, or other future forms would want the
>> same subgrammar, as much as possible -- but with refutability.
>
> I'm confused now. Was there an actual decision to go back to
> irrefutable matching? I don't see that in the meeting notes (just an
> argument that it would be future hostile, which I strongly agree
> with).

As the meeting I reported that I had spend considerable time reviewing the refutable matching strawman. it's unresolved issues, and the likely impart on the specification relative to other high priority work items.  My conclusion was that is unlikely we could incorporate that strawman and still meet our year end spec. completion goal. Instead, I proposed we stick with the currently specified destructuring semantics with a couple slight modification that I had previously described in a private email exchange with you (which I've copied below).

The discussion that followed was mostly about future proofing and various people trying to channel for you in that regard.  The schedule issue was real and there wasn't any particular push back on that.   Based upon that discussion,  plan is to update the draft to match what  what I described below unless you have similar scale alternatives to suggest.

Allen