setImmediate

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 10:21:15 PDT 2013

tl;dr - I would simply fix `setTimeout 0` ^_^

long story long:
from a suer perspective, I never understood why `setTimeout(fn, 0,
arguments)` does not act as `setImmediate(fn, arguments)` where latter one
is apparently needed to indeed replace a misleading behavior with first
`setTimeout` "broken" call.

IMO, 0 (zero) means "immediate", "asap", on next "tick" ... why should a
user care about bad implementations from vendors? Why vendors should accept
0 at all if 4ms is the minimum? The problem is infinite loop? `for(var i =
arr.length; --i; doStuff);` is still able to "block a thread" so why
`setTimeout` would care? how can `setImmediate` prevent bad designed code
or infinite loops in a way `setTimeout 0` couldn't?

Last but not least: I have no idea why DOM and W3C features should change
anything in current ES specs and I still I don't practically get what makes
setImmediate so special that setTimeout(fn, 0[, arguments]) cannot achieve
resulting in a simplified, unique, way to set timers in JS world and leave
W3C stuff out of the equation.

Best Regards