HTML date format and Date.parse()

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 11:10:44 PDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
> Note that ISO 8601 says that formatting simplifications
> such as leaving out the T is permitted with mutual agreement between the
> parties interchanging a data.  It isn't clear who the other party is that
> Ecma-262 could reach such an agreement with.

I think I disagree with the premise that a careful reading of the
vaguer parts of ISO 8601 is likely to help.

ES and HTML each specify a date-time syntax already (each with a
*non-normative* reference to ISO 8601). I'm just suggesting that they
specify the same one, for consistency and interoperability. They're
nearly identical already.

>> Can ES adopt these changes? It seems to me HTML and JS might as well
>> have the same rules for this sort of thing.
>
> Or maybe we should both just stick to a valid subset of ISO 8601.

Do you mean: achieve consistency by having HTML retract its extensions
to ISO 8601? I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

> Like I said above, I think it would be fine for there to be a spec. that
> adds additional browser implementation spec. format extensions for
> Date.parse.

Creating a new and separate standard over a few minor date-time syntax
tweaks sounds like overkill.

-j