class-private syntax in ES6 (was: ES6, ES7, ES8 and beyond. A Proposed Roadmap.)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Apr 28 13:36:20 PDT 2013

We clearly don't quite have consensus, as your interaction at that
meeting helped highlight. I'd like to restore consensus, not break it.

What goes into a particular edition of ECMA-262 is less important than
making progress on draft emerging-consensus specs for private-in-class,
prototype-implemeting, and developer-testing them.

Doing nothing raises the risk of a larger consensus break, but that's
the least of it. Doing nothing underserves developers and tends to defer
too much thinking about private syntax that we should be doing sooner
rather than later.