class-private syntax in ES6 (was: ES6, ES7, ES8 and beyond. A Proposed Roadmap.)

Rick Waldron waldron.rick at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 13:23:45 PDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Brian Di Palma wrote:
>
>> Another mail that I expected to receive more attention that hasn't...

@Brian, This is the second time you've opened a thread reply with a rebuke
regarding (lack of) speedy of response. Just saying...

> For some reason my mail program doesn't thread your reply to my o.p. Here
> it is in the archive, FWIW:
>
> https://mail.mozilla.org/**pipermail/es-discuss/2013-**April/029969.html<https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2013-April/029969.html>
>

>  We're London based so we had attendants at JQueryUK and the announcement
>> of
>> private class state in ES6 was a surprise, a pleasant one but still
>> surprising.
>>
>> Is it the case that the announcement was jumping the gun?
>>

> Rembmer, my words were that "I threw up a sketch" -- not a final
> masterpiece, not the Mona Lisa.
>
> However as your meeting notes excerpts show, we still don't quite have
> consensus on classes _per se_, without including private syntax in ES6.
>
> This is an agenda item for the upcoming TC39 meeting. We should try to
> build on the work by Mark and Tom at
>
> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/**doku.php?id=strawman:**relationships<http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:relationships>
>
> and make progress, whether that work ends up in ES6 or ES7 for prudential
> reasons.
>

>  Needless to say for programming with large code bases it would be
>> excellent to have private state.
>>

> Agreed!

The introduction of class in ES6 should not be blocked (or postponed until
ES7) by a lack of class (specific) private declaration form. I understand
and appreciate Brendan's remarks re: double-blind consensus, but politely
disagree with the notion that we _must_ produce a specific syntactic form
when private state can be achieved with the use of a WeakMap or a Symbol:
https://gist.github.com/rwldrn/5478221

I've always been an @-name supporter and have had a pending revisitation
agenda item for the last two meetings, deferred in favor of the bigger fish
we had to fry ;)

Rick