class-private syntax in ES6 (was: ES6, ES7, ES8 and beyond. A Proposed Roadmap.)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Apr 28 12:16:56 PDT 2013

Brian Di Palma wrote:
> Another mail that I expected to receive more attention that hasn't...

For some reason my mail program doesn't thread your reply to my o.p.
Here it is in the archive, FWIW:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2013-April/029969.html

> We're London based so we had attendants at JQueryUK and the announcement of
> private class state in ES6 was a surprise, a pleasant one but still surprising.
>
> Is it the case that the announcement was jumping the gun?

Rembmer, my words were that "I threw up a sketch" -- not a final
masterpiece, not the Mona Lisa.

However as your meeting notes excerpts show, we still don't quite have
consensus on classes _per se_, without including private syntax in ES6.

This is an agenda item for the upcoming TC39 meeting. We should try to
build on the work by Mark and Tom at

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:relationships

and make progress, whether that work ends up in ES6 or ES7 for
prudential reasons.

> Needless to say for programming with large code bases it would be
> excellent to have private state.

Agreed!