Why semicolon insertion is designed?

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 02:25:59 PDT 2013

Le 27/04/2013 11:10, BelleveInvis a écrit :
> I'm wondering that why semicolon insertion is designed and made it
> anti-intuitive?
Automatic Semicolon Insertion (ASI) *was* designed a while ago and can't
be changed whether we find it intuitive or not.
More details at https://brendaneich.com/2012/04/the-infernal-semicolon/

> To provide Java-style syntax compatibility?
I think it was just to be nice with devs who would occasionally forget a
semicolon. You're allowed to have opinions on this, but be aware that
the language won't change that aspect since too much content on the web
depends on the current behavior.

David