Module naming and declarations

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Apr 26 16:24:19 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM, David Herman <dherman at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2013, at 7:27 AM, Kevin Smith <zenparsing at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm not understanding how this strategy will facilitate namespace coordination.  I can
> > only see it leading to namespace confusion.
>
> There is, of course, a need for people to agree on common naming for shared modules.

One additional point on this topic. Even on the web, where there isn't
something like NPM as an arbiter for names, the JS community has
managed to use shared resources like the global object and the AMD
module name space effectively.  And as Dave points out, building tools
like NPM for web JavaScript will improve upon this further. We
shouldn't bake in a harder-to-use system up front when JS is doing
well as it is.

Sam