A Challenge Problem for Promise Designers

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 13:41:54 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> No.  Future callbacks can return Futures, which then chain (the return
> value of then adopts the state of the callback's return value).  This
> is the big "monad" benefit that we keep talking about.
[snip]

Shorter me: this is why I keep asking people who want flattening to
actually provide an example of where flattening is useful, that isn't
(a) assimilation, (b) a result of weird language semantics from some
non-JS language, or (c) an authoring error.

So far, I haven't gotten one!  Every concrete example I've received so
far just shows off assimilation, or a misunderstanding of what JS
promises/futures do.  :/

~TJ