A Challenge Problem for Promise Designers

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Fri Apr 26 08:18:30 PDT 2013

On 26 April 2013 16:25, Dean Landolt <dean at deanlandolt.com> wrote:
> The fundamental controversy, as Juan just noted, is how to precisely
> identify a promise in order to do either of these two things. This problem
> isn't quite so clean cut, but it's much more important to solve. I've been
> trying to bring some attention to it over the last few days -- I hope it's
> clear that a `then` method is not enough to identify a promise language
> construct -- this will subtly break existing code (e.g. casperjs).

Let me note that this is not the fundamental controversy (not for me,
anyway). The fundamental controversy is whether there should be any
irregularity at all, as is unavoidably introduced by implicit
flattening. The problem you describe just makes the negative effect of
that irregularity worse.

/Andreas