A Challenge Problem for Promise Designers (was: Re: Futures)

Kevin Smith zenparsing at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 05:54:26 PDT 2013

What exactly is the controversy here?

I think we all agree with the semantics of "then" as specified in
Promises/A+.  (If not, then we have a really big problem!)

If so, then the only real controversy is whether or not the API allows one
to create a promise whose eventual value is itself a promise.  Q does not:
 it provides only "resolve" and "reject".  DOM Futures do by way of
"Future.accept".  As far as I know, there's nothing about Q's
implementation that would make such a function impossible, it just does not
provide one.

Do I have that right so far?

{ Kevin }