Modules: Curly Free

Kevin Smith zenparsing at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 21:31:11 PDT 2013

Revisiting Quildreen's use case:

    import jsonRequestMiddleware from "json-request-middleware";
    import jsonOutputMiddleware from "json-output-middleware";

If developers choose, they can adopt a naming convention such that the main
export is the "identiferized" version of their published module name, as
above.  This does not require memorization.  It does not require
understanding the internal structure of the target.  It does not require
renaming.

Or they may choose some other naming convention.  Demonizing naming
conventions is just plain silly.

I think Quildreen provides an argument, no so much *for* default exports,
but *against* declarative-binding modules.  I think we should consider the
possibility that it will be impossible to make developers "happy" with a
module system that is, by its very nature, less flexible than the dynamic
one that they currently have.

More thoughts tomorrow.  For now, to sleep!

{ Kevin }