B.3.1 The __proto__ pseudo property

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Tue Apr 23 06:00:32 PDT 2013

On 23 April 2013 14:54, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
> Even if we had per object realm associations, it isn't clear to me what
> exactly we are trying to block WRT cross-realm [[Prototype]] chains.  Is the
> assertion that all objects in a [[Prototype]] chain must come from the same
> realm.  Does that mean that we must block creating such chains via
> Object.create or class declarations or classic constructor functions.  It
> isn't clear to me why such cross-realm chains are necessarily evil.  It also
> isn't clear to me why __proto__ should be prevented from creating them if we
> don't also prevent all other ways of doing so.  In that case, the appropiate
> place to put semantic restrictions on prototype chain
> construction/modification is in the semantics of the ordinary object
> [[SetInheritance]] internal method rather than in individual built-in
> functions and abstract operations that invoke [[SetInheritance]].

Preventing cross-realm prototype chains was not the intention. The
intention was to prevent using a protosetter from another realm to
mutate a prototype chain in a realm where Object.prototype.__proto__
has been removed.

Here is my example again:

  // Realm A
  delete Object.prototype.__proto__  // no messing around

  let other = getObjectFromSomewherePotentiallyAnotherRealmB()

  let p1 = Object.create(other, {a: {value: 1}})
  let o = Object.create(p1)
  let p2 = Object.create({})
  o.__proto__ = p2  // say what?

Everything is fine up to the last step. In particular, o has a
cross-realm prototype chain just fine. The only problem is with the
last line, which actually makes use of the __proto__ inherited from a
different realm to mutate o's prototype. My understanding was that
_that_ is the kind of thing we anted to prevent.

/Andreas