B.3.1 The __proto__ pseudo property

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Mon Apr 22 13:15:38 PDT 2013

We don't currently have the concept of an object "belonging" to a realm.  Functions have a realm association, but not non-function object.

Object.create(parent);    //we have no way to determine if parent "belongs" to the same realm as Object.create.
we also currently have no way to determine whether the caller of  Object.create is in the same or different realm as Object.create.

someObject.__proto__  = someParent;  //the setter function from Object.prototype has no way to determine a realm association for someParent.

let protoSetter = Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(Object.prototype, "__proto__");  //a proto setter from some realm

let x = {};
protosetter.call(x, another);    //no realm info to validate.

protosetter is essentially a universal setPrototypeOf function.

The only way I see to tame any aspect (for example not allowing Object.prototype.__proto__ = something) of __proto__ setting is via a [[Set]] over-ride on Object.prototype.

Allen