B.3.1 The __proto__ pseudo property

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Sun Apr 21 11:20:44 PDT 2013

On Apr 21, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>> On Apr 21, 2013, at 5:22 AM, David Bruant wrote:
>>> Hi Axel,

>>> Also possible with class syntax and the "extends" keyword (with all the @@create internal semantics).

>>> You can re-enable #1 by re-adding Object.prototype.__proto__ as your own getter wrapping Object.getPrototypeOf. Or maybe instead of "delete Object.prototype.__proto__", just do:
>>>    Object.defineProperty(Object.prototype, "__proto__", {set: undefined});
>>
>> I still think that Dunder proto should not be exposed at all by Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor (or any other reflection)  and that there is no need to leak either a working or always throwing __proto__ setter function into the hands of a ES programmer.
>
> This isn't what we seemed to agree on at past TC39 meetings.
>
> It's also not what the engines trying to converge on ES6 semantics have implemented.

It's not clear to me, yet what convergence we actually have.

Regardless, it's only observable via Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(Object.prototype, "__proto__") which in my proposal returns undefined when Dunder proto is active and in other proposals returns a function that when evaluated throws something.  The semantics of Dunder proto that have been discussed isn't just  that of an accessor property and can't be purely implemented as such so I no value in trying to masquerade it as an accessor for getOwnPropertyDescriptor.  Returning get/set functions that always throws is just adding complexity that delivers no value.

Allen