ES6,ES7,ES8 and beyond. A Proposed Roadmap.

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Apr 21 05:49:45 PDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:

> I hesitate to put Module Loaders on the above list rather than leaving them
> in ES6; but it would allow their semantics to rest on event loops and their
> API to rest on promises. If we can get ES7 out quickly, this need not be as
> painful as it might seem, and would help us ship ES6 faster.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I think this is not a reasonable choice in the
case of Module Loaders.  Modules (and this would go for any possible
design of modules) just aren't able to serve important the use cases
in the absence of dynamic loading and configuration of where to fetch
modules.

It's also the case that this doesn't avoid all of the work, it just
pushes some of it onto embedders of JS, in particular HTML.  I don't
think that's the right choice either.

Sam