ES6,ES7,ES8 and beyond. A Proposed Roadmap.

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Sat Apr 20 21:56:36 PDT 2013

This looks lovely.

The only thing I'd want to add: we need integers! And generally better numeric types. From speaking to developers on the ground, this is the biggest missing language feature they see (that isn't already addressed in ES6). I know Brendan has made some moves in this direction in SpiderMonkey, so let's just be sure it doesn't fall off the roadmap :).

Doing a quick poll of some IRC rooms, there's some call for shared-memory multithreading. I know this was a concern of the asm.js project, or more generally for the JS-as-a-compilation-target mission. I don't think this is a good idea, but just passing it along.

Finally, I know a lot of people, myself included, are excited about `await` sugar. That is, the plan would be to use generators + promises in ES6 with the awkwardness that entails; once we know what the prevailing patterns are we can eliminate that awkwardness with `await` in ES7. (I've made [a sketch][1] illustrating the idea, but of course the point of waiting is to find something that works, not the first thing I think up.) How this fits in with the concurrency strawman's more ambitious `!` operator is unclear though.

[1]: https://gist.github.com/domenic/5428522