Modules: Curly Free

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat Apr 20 21:15:36 PDT 2013

Kevin Smith wrote:
> - Supporting anonymous exports makes the model a little more
> complicated.  We can quantify that with number of productions, or
> lines of pseudo-code, or whatever you like, but that's a fact.  All
> else being equal, simple is better.

You're counting the wrong beans. Languages have affordances which add
piecewise complexity to grammars and implementations precisely so that
their users can have simpler code.

> - I don't believe you've really made the case for how anonymous
> exports will make things better.  It's not enough to say that
> "developers really want it".  There has to be a convincing technical
> argument.  I'm not ruling it out, I just haven't seen it yet.

No, the argument is that users shouldn't have to name the anonymous
export and import by that name. Those complexity beans multiply and
refract through the large-N community of language users.

I hope not to make these two simple points in conjunction two days in a row!