First crack at a Streams proposal

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 13:52:51 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net> wrote:
> * Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Isaac Schlueter <i at izs.me> wrote:
>>> I'm not seeing what in this proposal can't be implemented in
>>> JavaScript as it is today.  Is there an implementation of this
>>> somewhere?  Are there any programs that use these streams?
>>
>>This is a fully-general counter-argument against literally everything
>>that doesn't require new primitives, and so is useless as an actual
>>argument.
>
> It is unlikely that he meant to make a useless argument. I would take it
> as a request for references to running code so we can get a better idea
> of how this is implemented and used in practise to aid the discussion. I
> believe some references have already been given in the various threads,
> perhaps it would be useful to collect some of them on your website?

Given that I said exactly that in the text following the bit you
quoted, I obviously agree.  ^_^

(I get annoyed at that particular argument because, a surprising
amount of the time, people *do* make exactly that argument.  They
either think that everything should be done through libraries, or are
trying to make an argument against the idea's usefulness but are
accidentally proving too much.)

~TJ