First crack at a Streams proposal

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 12:47:32 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Isaac Schlueter <i at izs.me> wrote:
> I'm not seeing what in this proposal can't be implemented in
> JavaScript as it is today.  Is there an implementation of this
> somewhere?  Are there any programs that use these streams?

This is a fully-general counter-argument against literally everything
that doesn't require new primitives, and so is useless as an actual
argument.  It would damn Promises/Futures, Sets, Maps, and a number of
other new things.  The valid version of this argument is about
*usefulness*, and there being unable to implement in current JS is a
supporting reason to add something, but not the only reason.

The concept of "event streams" shows up in lots of libraries,
particularly those dealing with functional reactive programming.  I'm
going to start explicitly documenting these uses so we have more data
for constructing and evaluating any final proposals.

Please note that the proposal topping this thread is already
long-obsolete.  I have a second thread explaining it more, and the
most recent iteration of the proposal is being tracked on my blog:
<http://www.xanthir.com/b4PV0>.

~TJ