DOM EventStreams (take two on Streams): Request for feedback

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Thu Apr 18 17:11:27 PDT 2013

One bigger question: what is the DOM use case for event streams?

That is, it's very clear what the DOM use cases are for binary data streams. (Most urgently, streaming XHR, but also perhaps unifying the many interfaces that use object URLs as a means of connecting separate streams of data; also exposing the browser's GZIP capabilities; and so on [1].)

But for event streams it's less clear what urgent problem they solve. The example you've shown so far is basically just a different way of doing Object.observe, with some nice sugar and of course those combinators. But the basic capabilities of the platform are not expanded, and sugar seems like a library-level concern. Nevertheless, there's many allusions to DOM use cases in your blog posts, so a listing of those would be helpful.

In other words: if there are many use cases for the DOM where event streams make sense, great! In the spirit of standardizing promises, it's good to standardize a common idiom so we don't do things in many different ways across the DOM APIs. But if the only use case is just to notify of property changes, Object.observe handles that nicely without streams. What else needs event streams?

[1]: http://imgur.com/a/9vFGa#11