More flexibility in the ECMAScript part? (was: Re: Futures

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Apr 18 04:10:37 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:07 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Note that Futures are entirely expressible in today's JS semantics.
>>
>> (Not to say that it shouldn't be reviewed by the language gurus here,
>> just saying.)
>
> HTML defines the event loop model and processing
> model for any asynchronous JavaScript execution.

This is true.

> JavaScript does not have an event loop (as I mentioned elsewhere) so
> [Futures are entirely expressible] is not true.

The only part of futures that isn't expressible today in ES5 (I
believe) is the requirement that callbacks be called in the next tick
when .then() is called on a resolved promise.

> Lifting that up to
> JavaScript seems difficult.

Fortunately, this isn't true, because the module loader system
requires us to add the event loop to ES6.

Sam