parallel map and dot product

Norm Rubin nrubin at nvidia.com
Thu Apr 4 15:08:35 PDT 2013

>From a language point of view, I see the relation to array is pretty important but what about the approach in something like
underscore.js

underscore.js:  _.sum(_.map()  ......)
compared to:   Parallel.sum(parallel.map(......)

Where_ is some kind of object proving  map and friends
Then you could pass around special versions of map etc, like a version specially good for small parallel arrays, one for latency devices (cpus) , one for throughput devices (gpu)  or a version with extra debugging

Is that far from the spirit of  JavaScript?