Function name proposal writeup

Brandon Benvie bbenvie at mozilla.com
Thu Apr 4 12:02:04 PDT 2013

On 4/4/2013 11:52 AM, David Bruant wrote:
> "The /name/ property is initialized with the best value given static
> semantics"
> => I think all the rules should be explicitly laid out (i think that's
> what you did in the subsections after this sentence) to avoid
> implementation-specific interpretations of this sentence. Some
> previous work [1] could be considered as finding "the best value given
> static semantics".
> Also, "given static semantics" is a fluctuating definition since the
> result can change when new syntax is added.

Yeah, the purpose of that paragraph is to intro the following content,
not stand alone. I agree that it could be improved and clarified; a
better phrasing might be "given the following static semantics...". The
set of rules used to name functions should not (and I don't think it
does) leave any room open to interpretation by implementers.

> [1] http://johnjbarton.github.com/nonymous/index.htm

This is good stuff but I would argue that it's not naming the function.
It's providing a path or description of its origin, suited for debugging
rather than naming. For example:

     class Set {
       add(item){ /***/ }
     }

I would argue that the best name for the method is "add" while the
path/origin of it might be "Set#add". They are orthogonal in my opinion,
and "name" is much simpler to specify.