Re: endianness (was: Observability of NaN distinctions — is this a concern?)

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Wed Apr 3 02:57:33 PDT 2013

On 28 March 2013 23:01, David Herman <dherman at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2013, at 6:51 AM, Andreas Rossberg <rossberg at google.com> wrote:
>
>> There actually are (third-party) projects
>> with ports of V8 and/or Chromium to big endian architectures.
>
> It would be helpful to have more information about what these platforms and projects are.

Yeah, unfortunately I can't say without being killed by those third parties.

>> WebGL
>> code should not break or become prohibitively expensive on them all of
>> a sudden.
>
> But WebGL code doesn't break either way. It's if we *don't* mandate little-endian that code breaks.

No. WebGL expects native endianness today, and existing JS typed array
code produces native endianness today. This is true on both little and
big endian platforms. So existing code will typically run on both
classes of platforms if it does not do something dirty. However, if
the new spec suddenly mandates some platforms to switch endianness on
one end, then existing code will no longer run as is on those
platforms. See also Vlad's reply.

/Andreas