Must built-in prototypes also be valid instances? (Was: Why DataView.prototype object's [[Class]] is "Object"?)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Sep 29 18:19:24 PDT 2012

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> My intention, subject to feedback here and from TC39,  is to follow
> the pattern I used for Map as much as possible.  However, TypedArray
> object are all ready implemented by all major browsers to that may
> limit how we apply it to them.

Implementations differ:

javascript:alert(Object.prototype.toString.call(Uint8Array.prototype).slice(8,-1))

in Opera says "Uint8Array", while in Firefox and Safari it says
"Uint8ArrayPrototype". Chrome says "Object". I can't test IE here.

The typed array
(http://www.khronos.org/registry/typedarray/specs/latest/) does not specify.