Sept 20 TC39 Meeting Notes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Sep 27 23:54:56 PDT 2012

Rick Waldron wrote:
> # Thin Arrow?
> (Presented by Brendan Eich, Mozilla)
>
> We have the fat-arrow, supported by Kevin Smith's research, it's a
> win. Some voices in the community don't want the unexpected behaviour
> of the soft-bound lexical `this`

"bound 'this'" would do -- "hard-bound" if you insist.

I think soft-bind is dead as discussed here, since it adds a flag
argument or equivalent that must be set by every caller anywhere -- this
won't fly with V8 and SpiderMonkey and other engines.

I'd prefer just "bound" so we can stop pretending there's a "soft" option.