Convergence options for Ecmascript/Actionscript?

Taka Kojima taka at gigafied.com
Sun Sep 2 17:20:48 PDT 2012

For what it's worth, I did AS3 development for a long time before somewhat
recently
(within the last year and a half) switching over to more primarily
HTML/CSS/JS.

I still do stuff in Flash/AS3 too, so I have a foot in both doors.

When I first made the switch, I looked at the transition from AS3 to JS as a
downgrade of sorts, wishing I could do some of the things in JS that I
could
in AS3.  The switch from Classical inheritance to prototypical inheritance
was
probably the biggest adjustment.

Now that I've been working in JS for over a year and a half. I find that I
wish
AS3 was more like JavaScript. I'm very comfortable in both languages.

2. getting feedback from AS3 developers: did they really need the
>    extra features that ES.nexts are not going to have, what was their
>    experience with the features that AS3 has in some form and ES6
>    is going to have in some other form. And do those who went
>    through the AS3 to ES5 transition have useful observations?

To get to the point, developers are always going to prefer what they are
used to, unless they have experience with both A and B, asking them
which is better is not going to be helpful and may even send you in the
wrong direction.

As it relates to JavaScript (and where it's at in its lifecycle), the best
feedback
you can get will be  from other JS developers, not from developers who use
AS3 or
Haxe or any other language.

With the above in mind, I think the current approach for ES.next (from what
I gather)
is more about making things easier with syntax and fixing things which are
pretty obviously not ideal (no lexical scope for methods), vs. adding new
features
to the language, which I think is definitely the right thing to do.

- Taka