`free` operator

Patrick Mueller pmuellr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 04:59:17 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 2:03 AM, David Herman <dherman at mozilla.com> wrote:

> A feature you shouldn't use in production is a feature your attackers will
> use in production. ;)

Not just your attackers.  Worse.  You, probably.  I often thought, while I
was a Smalltalker, "hey, I can use become: here" or "I'll just add a
finalization block for this object here".  Always the wrong thing to do.
 Eventually I learned to avoid even considering using the magic sauces.
 But it's hard to resist.

Perhaps we need to start talking about lower-level user space capabilities
like this, that we can provide for "debugging".  Presumably, a user gesture
would be required to "enter debug mode", but once you're there, you have
access to some of the magic.  In browser debuggers, the "console" REPL
would give you access to this, and from node the REPL could do this.
 Instead of "use strict", it would be a kind of "use magic".

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org