`free` operator

Yehuda Katz wycats at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 21:38:25 PDT 2012

Any proposal that destroys this invariant:

function() {
var x = obj();

// other statements not involving x

x // still defined
}

destroys local reasoning and would almost certainly do more harm than good.

In programs with leaks, the leak is often inside of library code, and
breaking the library's own invariants will cause more confusion, not less,
in many cases.

I shudder to think about bug reports I would receive in my libraries where
someone forced a variable reference I was holding to become undefined or
start throwing if I try to reference it.

-- Yehuda Katz
(ph) 718.877.1325