Re: David’s ProxyMap

Tom Van Cutsem tomvc.be at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:56:25 PDT 2012

2012/10/20 Axel Rauschmayer <axel at rauschma.de>

> Currently, proxies make no distinction between a property read access and
> a method invocation. In my experience, it would be nice if that distinction
> would be there – if only that one didn’t have to curry for method
> invocations which must be a performance issue and is a fairly common use
> case (remotely invoking web services etc.). Now, there are reasons against
> this and I’m mainly wondering if actually using the new API has changed
> your or Tom’s mind.

I agree there are use cases for distinguishing method invocations from
property accesses (remote method calls are one of them -- you'd want to
distinguish between doing an HTTP GET vs POST). But the new API hasn't
changed the balance for or against an "invoke" trap. Recall that one of the
reasons was that an "invoke" trap would lead to invoke-only methods, which
goes against functional programming patterns in Javascript (e.g. people
expect array.map(obj.method) to work)

Cheers,
Tom