Avoiding overloading the term “prototype”

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Oct 23 05:26:47 PDT 2012

Herby Vojčík wrote:
> By the way, let deprecate (that is, recommend not to use) __proto__
> and introduce @parent (or other term) instead, while both having the
> same behaviour.

We could do this, given symbols, but would it help? New code could use
it in the next several years only with an ES6->ES5 compiler and ignoring
IE on desktop; this is a real possibility for "mobile developers",
self-defined. But developers could just as well use __proto__ and
probably will skip the compiler without strong need for other ES6 features.

This means we're adding a nicer synonym for the very long run. Which
means two things, more total surface syntax, more "cruft" from certain
points of view. Is it worth it?