Re: Avoiding overloading the term “prototype”

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Mon Oct 22 15:02:20 PDT 2012

It wouldn’t fix the main problem with __proto__: using a property to express meta-data. In a way, __proto__ might even be better than, say, @proto, because it will be the only property with double underscore, highlighting the specialness of that property.

On Twitter, @marcoos correctly commented that changing the name of [[Prototype]] (including prototypal inheritance, prototype chain, etc.) is too drastic an overhaul. Finding a better name for Constr.prototype seems easier.

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
axel at rauschma.de