API for text editing

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Oct 18 16:07:23 PDT 2012

Brendan Eich wrote:
> JS the core language and JS the DOM ("level 0", more or less -- mostly
> less) originated with me in Netscape 2 in 1995. Why did two standards
> bodies end up working on these two "JS" aspects? Mostly politics and
> some division of expert labor flowing from politics of the market
> powers back then.

I should have added, to back up Norbert and Boris on the core-language
vs. web-facing (and often browser-not-server-side web-facing, although
the browser/server line is getting blurry) division of labor, that
anything to-do with glyphs and font widths and editing is pretty
squarely not fit for the core-language specifications that Ecma TC39
governs.