API for text editing

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Oct 18 15:18:43 PDT 2012

Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
> I don't see how the W3C could supply an API that would be accessible
> from Javascript, or am I misunderstanding?

They do it all the time, using WebIDL. WebIDL has a JS binding that is
still being tweaked.

http://www.w3.org/TR/WebIDL/

WebIDL is a Candidate Recommendation, w3-jargon for "ready to implement
and test interop". Mozilla is active: we employ the editor, Cameron
McCormack, and we're implementing.

The pre-history of WebIDL involves CORBA OMG IDL, and Java as equal to
JS in binding language importance, leading to some questionable API
design details, but I'll leave it at that.

JS the core language and JS the DOM ("level 0", more or less -- mostly
less) originated with me in Netscape 2 in 1995. Why did two standards
bodies end up working on these two "JS" aspects? Mostly politics and
some division of expert labor flowing from politics of the market powers
back then.