Modules, Concatenation, and Better Solutions

Kevin Smith khs4473 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 06:46:39 PDT 2012

> Browsers can load from ZIP files, some even supported the .jar variant and
> http://some.site.com/big.jar!**member<http://some.site.com/big.jar!member>notation (not sure what's still working there). But this is again
> multiplying risks. Will developers all ZIP this way, instead of using TE
> (Transfer Encoding) or a different compression format?

I see your point about risks, but FWIW I think they would.  OS's make it
effortless to zip, and zip supports all kinds of extensions...

> I think Claus hit it: don't try to match IIFEs exactly, match internal to
> external module loading via by-need.

How do we tell when an inline module is needed, though?

    module A {
      export var x = "you need me";
    }

    export function f() {
      console.log(A.x);
    }

Do we log "you need me" only when f is called for the first time?

Kevin