Modules, Concatenation, and Better Solutions

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Oct 17 06:31:16 PDT 2012

Kevin Smith wrote:
> Concating source files has always been a suboptimal solution to the
> multiple request problem anyway.  It's not as cringe-inducing as image
> sprites, but it's up there.  As David Bruant mentioned, a design goal
> for HTTP 2 is to make such spriting unnecessary.  Will HTTP 2 permeate
> before ES6..?

Probably not, my hunch.

The multiplication principle is not your friend. We have risk on both of
those, they're independent, if we couple them the odds of success get
smaller.

> The obvious solution to (2) from above is to distribute programs as
> zip files.  A crazy idea:  what if browsers natively supported loading
> modules from zip files?

Browsers can load from ZIP files, some even supported the .jar variant
and http://some.site.com/big.jar!member notation (not sure what's still
working there). But this is again multiplying risks. Will developers all
ZIP this way, instead of using TE (Transfer Encoding) or a different
compression format?

I think Claus hit it: don't try to match IIFEs exactly, match internal
to external module loading via by-need.